Tuesday, February 01, 2011

In Between…

I’m in a very rare spot right now; I am actually in between projects. I have some rather large projects for clients coming down the pike in the next week or two. But, right now, for the rest of this week, I am project free, well for other people. Which means, I think I need to make something for myself. 

Here comes the dilemma… I have a full stash of fabric with lots of dresses in mind for each piece. However, I don’t know where to start. I also need to replace my white muslin gown. I have literally worn the hem to shreds and have had to alter it to hide the rips on multiple occasions. I plan to use the poor old gown for outdoorsy events that involved dirt and the like.  But, it will no longer suit for finer indoor and evening events. So, a new one is in order, whether that is the next project or not, I’m not sure.  I also, can’t decide if I want to make some new day gowns, or open robes, or what I want, exactly. I know, it’s not a terrible problem to have, I just don’t know what  I want…Le sigh…

So, here is some of my inspirations with pics of the fabric choices. I would love to hear your opinions please…

The Fabric Stash Options…

IMG_0002

Peach Silk

IMG_0004

Burgundy Silk

IMG_0006

Chintz

IMG_0008

Chintz

IMG_0012

And More Chintz…

IMG_0009

My favorite late 18th Century staple… Cream Voile

The Inspirations…

Picture 029

Another open robe. This would work for any of the fabrics. However, I’ll need to make that new voile gown to go with it too…

1795dress (1)

Any of the chintzes will work for this gown. However, I think I would use the green leaf pattern.

Image1

This gorgeous spencer. Again, the voile gown would have to come first.

307david

My favorite wardrobe staple… The voile drawstring gown, or gualle. I will make mine with 3/4 sleeves instead of full length. It’s much more versatile that way.

So there you have it. This gal has Costume ADD in spades today. I’ll let you know what I decide tomorrow.

God Bless!

Love,

       Lauren

10 Witty Sentiments:

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

Oh Lady P!! I want you so much to make the chintz leaf gown. I practically yelped with excitment at that fabric, and it is a project not requiring dependencies, plus it would be suitable for several context. Please do! :):):):)

Lauren Stowell said...

ooo! lovely little spencer there. I've never seen that one or one like it :-D

And your fabric, SO lovely. /sigh.

Lindsey said...

I LOVE the orange silk! Maybe it would look nice for the first open robe pictured? The voile drawstring gown would also be sooo lovely! I can't wait to see what you create. :)

Rebecca May said...

I am voting for the spencer!
Its so unique...what Lauren said above me :3

Kleidung um 1800 said...

Here's another vote for the beautiful spencer...your burgundy silk would be just perfect for it!

Katy Rose said...

Well.....I think you made your decision already.....In every line you say " I would love to make this, BUT....I need to make the voile to go with it" lol Make the voile and then you can be more excited about the rest of the fabrics. Happy sewing! :D

ZipZip said...

Dear Lauren,
Leaving lurkland to vote for the spencer. Indeed, a little white dress is necessary anytime...so I suppose must be made, but that spencer! It's a beauty and I imagine so flexible!
Very best,
Natalie in KY

lissawi said...

I vote pink chintz gown! I'm so partial to pink!

Sarah said...

I know you decided on the voile gown and spencer and I'm so glad you did, because that is exactly what I would have voted for. :) I can't wait to see your projects take shape. I will be watching closely, since a white gown is in my future too. The spencer. ..well, there are just no words to describe it! It's just gorgeous!

The Dreamstress said...

I'm just glad you have to make the voile gown. That one is definitely my favourite!