Friday, March 11, 2011

Grandpa…

I just got the call. The call that no one wants to receive. My Grandfather just passed away around 12:30 this morning. I am pretty upset, as imagined, but I take comfort in knowing that he loved the Lord. He risked his life for our freedom in WWII and nearly died at the Battle of the Bulge. He was a tough man and had loving heart. I will miss him. I love you Grandpa….

Grandpa in Uniform

Here is is in early 1944, I believe, right before heading off to the War.

P6090879

Grandpa and his wife, Mary

This pic was taken on their last trip to Oregon in 2008.

14 Witty Sentiments:

Dixygrl said...

I have enjoyed you blog for so long now. I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Grandfathers are very special people. God bless you and yours through this difficult time.

Olympe de la Tour D'Auvergne said...

My deepest condolences for you and all of your family.

Sarah said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of this incredible man. May God bless you and bring you peace, His perfect peace with passes all understanding. In the midst of the sorrow and pain of having him away from this world now, the Lord gives reason to rejoice that one of His has been called home. . .and you will see him again. {{{HUGS}}} sweet, dear friend! This time cannot be easy, and grieving will help heal.

Kleidung um 1800 said...

Dear Lauren,
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Sabine

Mrs. G said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, I will pray that God will comfort you in the way that only He can. How wonderful that he loved the Lord, death loses some of its sting when a believer merely trades this world for one eternal.

Barbee said...

My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Patience said...

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. My God lift you up during this time and comfort you.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.

Amy said...

Aw...that's hard news. Lauren, I'm so sorry. He was a true gift and blessing in your life and I know it's hard to see him go. The wonderful news is that he is with God in Heaven, and the angels are all rejoicing.

I'll be praying for you all during this difficult time.

Amy

Hungarican Chick said...

My thoughts are with you, Lauren. I know how difficult it is to lose a loved one. He had a good, full life, and he could be proud of who you've become. :::virtual hugs:::

Madame Berg said...

I'm so sorry. Take care of yourself. Hugs.

Summer said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa :( Hope your family can be a comfort to each other.

Abby said...

I'm so sorry Lauren. I'll be thinking of you. Lots of love.

ZipZip said...

Dear Lauren,
Iam so sorry and send my deepest comdolences. We are unlikely to see a whole generation of his like again any time soon. Tough, as you say, hard-working, courageous, beset by Depression and war, they rose to their tasks so matter of factly and with humor. You were blessed to have his example with you for long, and you can hold him in your heart until you meet again.

Very best,
Natalie