Sunday, June 03, 2012

Gratuitous Vacation Photos

Hi All,

   I returned home from my wonderful, wonderful trip late Friday night. I can’t believe how many amazing places we saw and the history that surrounded us. We started in Chicago, then made our way to Dearborn, Michigan to the Dearborn Inn and the Henry Ford Museum. Then we went to Dayton, Ohio to visit family, followed by a stop to Morehead, Kentucky to see where my relatives are buried. Finally, we went back to Chicago and explored the downtown area. It was a blast, but I am happy to be home. My mom took a number of pictures, but here are just a few to hold you over till I get all of them loaded. Enjoy!

IMAG0077

Part of the English Walled Garden at the Chicago Botanical Gardens

IMAG0074

Mrs. Cartwright and I in the Botanical Gardens

IMAG0095

The Henry Ford Inn in Dearborn, Michigan. This place was AMAZING and had some lovely Georgian buildings all over the property.

IMAG0101

One of the Georgian outbuildings on the hotel property.

IMAG0093

IMAG0087

Henry Ford’s estate

IMAG0083

IMAG0080

IMAG0082

The massive lawn at the Henry Ford Estate

Boat

Me in my 1910’s gharb at the Titanic Exhibit. It’s a proof photo, but you get the idea. My blouse is an original from around 1912. I wore my Astorias all day, and I LOVE THEM!!!

Grand Staircase

This is a replica of Titanic’s Grand Staircase. It was absolutely amazing!!!

IMAG0102

Percherons plowing the fields at the Greenfield Village in the Henry Ford Museum

IMAG0114

One of the many cemeteries where my ancestors are laid to rest in Morehead, Kentucky.

IMAG0116

This is the cemetery by our old house. We used to make snowmen, sled, and play here when I was very young.

IMAG0124

Morehead Lake. My grandparents used to play here as children and my dad and I used to walk here when I was a wee one :)

IMAG0131

Beautiful Downtown Chicago. This city blew me away. The architecture, the food, the sites were all amazingly beautiful!

IMAG0128

IMAG0152

The 96th floor of the John Hancock Building

IMAG0154

The INCREDIBLE ballroom in our hotel. The pictures do not begin to capture it’s beauty.

IMAG0155

IMAG0158

The Grand Staircase in our hotel. Jaw dropping!

IMAG0174

And finally, Beluga Whales at the Chicago Aquarium!!! They were so cute and playful :)

I owe a huge thank you to my wonderful parents for taking Mrs. Cartwright and me on this amazing trip!!! They are such amazing and generous people! Love you guys!!!

Well folks, that’s all I have for now. I will have some more pics of Mrs. Cartwright and I at the Henry Ford Museum in the near future. God Bless!!!

Love Lauren

4 Witty Sentiments:

Angela said...

What a wonderful trip! It is so cool to go back and see where our ancestors walked and lived. A trip ages ago to Louisiana was amazing to see where my family began. Anyway, thanks for sharing, especially that the Astoria shoes are good for a long day on one's feet.

ZipZip said...

Dear Lauren,

What a trip you had! The pictures are great; I've always wanted to get to the Henry Ford Museum, and now want to even more.

Neat that your family's from Kentucky. We visit my husband's family's graves in West Liberty and here in Lexington each year to clean and decorate them. It's a good tradition and keeps one connected; so glad you could do so too.

Very best,
Natalie in Kentucky

Rebecca said...

What?! What?! You went to my city and I didnt know? Ugh, It would have been so nice to have met you in person! (I live in Dearborn, MI.) I hope you liked the village. I go there quite often. You looked like you had a blast! :)

Lauren said...

@Rebecca, I wish I had known :/ I love meeting my internet costume buddies. Bummer.