Monday, December 05, 2011

Finished 1910’s Corset

I’m very happy with how the 1910’s corset turned out. It took me about four days, from pattern drafting to sewing, to complete it. I will probably make a second one in the near future, because, as always, there are a few changes I would make. The first, is that the original pattern was closure to my measurements than I had realized. I ended up adding a little too much to it, and now the corset has about 1” in the back when it’s laced. I prefer to have close to 3” left when laced. Also, I would probably use a heavier fabric like canvas or coutil. I used a couple of layers of muslin, which is very comfortable, but I think a heavier fabric will wear better for more use. Other than that, I’m very pleased with the results. Here are the pics…

IMG_0054

I scaled up this pattern from Nora Waugh’s “Corsets and Crinolines”.

IMG_0042

IMG_0044

IMG_0046

1 Witty Sentiments:

Sarah Jane said...

I know this is late but I just wanted to say I love this post! The finished corset photos are really helpful to me as I am attempting my own 1910's corset. I ended up using the C&C pattern as well, and it is so helpful to see wehat the finished result should look like.